Completed in 1897, the Mirabeau bridge was a product of the spell that forged steel cast upon French engineers at the end of
the nineteenth century. Four massive female statues adorned two stone pillars sunk midstream to support its weight, allegories
of the riverís role in sustaining Parisí fortunes. Frequented and ignored by Parisians, it was a practical, businesslike bridge.